From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devleopment sources are no longer 'development' - example
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:58:38
1 On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 19:49, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 06:41:49PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 16:13, Greg KH wrote:
4 > > > But then what is preventing us from having both a 2.4 and 2.6 version of
5 > > > gentoo-sources? Is it the following statement in that same file:
6 > >
7 > > Nothing... which was why we had the vote at the manager's meeting.
8 >
9 > Great, I didn't realize that was the outcome.
10 >
11 > > While I have planned out a fairly extensive timeline, if the kernel
12 > > developers decided they wished to merge the two, I would think that is
13 > > their prerogative.
14 >
15 > Well, I'll gladly do it tomorrow if I'm allowed to :)
16 >
17 > But what was your timeline?
18
19 The timeline that we had laid out and that was agreed upon was to make
20 the change around February, which gives 6 months to "prove" that both
21 gentoo-dev-sources and udev are capable of becoming the defaults for the
22 virtual/linux-sources and virtual/dev-manager. The idea is for us to
23 start using them both much heavier. The 2004.3 release will only have
24 one kernel on the CD (gentoo-dev-sources) and will use udev, so it will
25 definitely help us iron out any bugs which are still around. I would
26 think the only thing really slowing adoption is the non-sysfs aware
27 drivers out there, which need either patches, or to be fixed upstream.
28
29 > > Kernels are already SLOTted based on their version, so I don't think it
30 > > would cause a problem. All we would have to do is be sure to document
31 > > that if a user wants to stick with a 2.4 gentoo-sources, that they
32 > > should p.mask >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.5*
33 >
34 > If that's it, that's not so bad. But where do we document such a
35 > change?
36
37 The handbook would definitely be a good place to start. I also think it
38 wouldn't be a bad idea to put a sticky on the forums and an article on
39 the front page, when such a change occurs. The idea would be to put the
40 information in as many places as possible, so our users would be able to
41 find it easily.
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
46 Games - Developer
47 Gentoo Linux
48
49 Is your power animal a penguin?