From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retirement plans for =net-nds/openldap-2.{1,2}*
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:12:34
1 On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 03:23:28AM -0800, Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Er. Granted, they're out of date, because we don't have anyone who knows
3 > ldap (and gongloo never showed up with a promised rewrite), but all of
4 > our documentation seems to be geared toward openldap-2.1 or so.
5 >
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldapdns-guide.xml --> is still considered
7 > "valid"
8 There is nothing in that document that limits it to openldap-2.1. It
9 should work perfectly fine with 2.2/2.3 and the upcoming 2.4.
10
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml --> is considered
12 > unmaintained and "invalid", since none of the GDP knows ldap. wouldn't
13 > mind reinstating it if we can get users to help out with the updates.
14 At a quick glance:
15 - The ebuild handles the SSL certs now
16 - migrationtools is no longer used, need to provide a bootstrap.ldif and
17 point users to a suitable tool for creating their entries (I have a
18 vested interest in diradm, and really need to get the next release of
19 diradm out the door, but do NOT use it yet).
20 - Well migrationtools can still be used, but it's something that you
21 grab from a tarball, run exactly once, and throw away.
22 - The pam/nss configuration and /etc/ldap.conf need a lot of work.
23
24 So again, there is NOTHING that is specific to any version of OpenLDAP
25 there. There's plenty that can be done better/slightly differently in
26 2.2/2.3, but nothing that would fail anywhere other than 2.1.
29 Robin Hugh Johnson
30 Gentoo Linux Developer
31 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
32 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85