From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Change policy about live ebuilds
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 22:32:36
1 On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 09:22:24PM +0000, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:30:15PM -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:05:44 +0000
4 > > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > > Isn't that the point? People should be discouraged in every way not to use
7 > > > > live ebuilds. I'd add a third if we had one. :)
8 > > > >
9 > > > > But yes, if I had to pick only one I'd go with dropping keywords over
10 > > > > package.mask. In fact it looks like I have some live ebuilds in the tree
11 > > > > that do exactly that.
12 > > > >
13 > > > Actually not. Users are already familiar with the -9999 concept so there
14 > > > is no point to add extra obstacles in their way. I am trying to find out
15 > > > corner cases where double masking makes sense. Otherwise it makes no
16 > > > sense to me. Actually the majority of users get confused when a package
17 > > > is double masked. Just drop by forums etc and you will see :)
18 > >
19 > > Again, that's the point. If you can't figure out how to get around a
20 > > double mask then you have no business installing live ebuilds.
21 > >
22 > > But this is getting off topic. If you want to change the policy to recommend
23 > > dropping keywords rather than using package.mask then I support it.
24 > > package.mask has the disadvantage that it's too easy to accidentally unmask
25 > > live versions with >=. And nothing stops someone from doing both if they
26 > > want.
29 > > --
30 > > fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
31 > > toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
32 > > @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
33 >
34 > If the majority of the devs ( at least of those who participate to this
35 > thread ) is positive, then I will commit a patch to devmanual and
36 > possibly migrate the cvs&svn sources pages into a single one.
37
38 Count me in on this policy change. I think that double masking is a
39 pain as well.
40
41 I would agree that we might want to document somewhere that if
42 users are using "**" in package.keywords they really get to keep the
43 pieces, since they will be installing live ebuilds.
44
45 William