From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of elibtoolize
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:58:50
1 On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 09:15:50 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > That said, I don't find the current solution really optimal. A lot of
5 > ebuilds (mine, for example) are not using elibtoolize, and I expect
6 > that they may randomly fail for some people in corner cases. But I
7 > don't feel like adding another eclass to all ebuilds in the tree is
8 > a good idea.
9 >
10 > Portage already does some configure updates in econf. How about we
11 > move the whole thing straight into Portage, implicitly activated by
12 > econf? That would certainly increase coverage, remove some QA
13 > violations from ECLASSDIR and possibly solve the problem long-term.
14 >
15 > What do you think?
16
17 I support this. I don't know if it's as big a problem as it was when I
18 last looked at it but cross-compiling often failed without the sysroot
19 patch. Much like you, before becoming a dev, I did not want to file a
20 whole string of bug reports requesting that elibtoolize be added to
21 loads of ebuilds.
24 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
25 Gentoo Linux Developer