From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of elibtoolize
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 15:14:54
1 On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 13:58:32 +0100
2 James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 09:15:50 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > That said, I don't find the current solution really optimal. A lot
8 > > of ebuilds (mine, for example) are not using elibtoolize, and I
9 > > expect that they may randomly fail for some people in corner cases.
10 > > But I don't feel like adding another eclass to all ebuilds in the
11 > > tree is a good idea.
12 > >
13 > > Portage already does some configure updates in econf. How about we
14 > > move the whole thing straight into Portage, implicitly activated by
15 > > econf? That would certainly increase coverage, remove some QA
16 > > violations from ECLASSDIR and possibly solve the problem long-term.
17 > >
18 > > What do you think?
19 >
20 > I support this. I don't know if it's as big a problem as it was when I
21 > last looked at it but cross-compiling often failed without the sysroot
22 > patch. Much like you, before becoming a dev, I did not want to file a
23 > whole string of bug reports requesting that elibtoolize be added to
24 > loads of ebuilds.
28 there is a simple solution to this: profile.bashrc :)
32 i think there was a project/idea to do this in a cleaner way, supported
33 by diego, like 10 years ago, but i cant remember more