From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Dreaded herd tag
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:19:13
1 On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 03:05 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 28 October 2006 02:46, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 08:11:37AM +0200, George Shapovalov wrote:
4 > > > One of the reasons herds were introduced was to explicitly see what
5 > > > packages lack maintenance. It is possible for the ebuild to be in the
6 > > > herd, but be supported by the developer not on the herd. See the <role>
7 > > > tag. Also, there can be one-dev herds.
8 > >
9 > > I have a number of specialized packages that I maintain, such as
10 > > sys-block/qla-fc-firmware, that cannot be classified as any existing
11 > > herd, and are specialized enough inventing a new herd for them would not
12 > > really help.
13 >
14 > declaring no herd for maintainership here makes sense ... requiring a <herd>
15 > tag and forcing it to "no-herd" keeps things explicit ...
16
17 That's what I think is best.
18
19 > on the topic of finding unmaintained packages:
20 > if there is no herd and no maintainer, should we just cut metadata.xml ? or
21 > do we recommend people to stick in <herd>no-herd</herd> ? the former would
22 > help with people sticking in bogus things like a maintainer of bug-wranglers
23 > (really maintainer-needed would make more sense) ...
24
25 Well, we enforce the maintainer tag if herd is no-herd. Then, we only
26 allow valid devs, and maintainer-needed in maintainer. That should
27 resolve the problem.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
32 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
33 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
34 Gentoo Foundation