From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Dreaded herd tag
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 07:07:36
1 On Saturday 28 October 2006 02:46, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 08:11:37AM +0200, George Shapovalov wrote:
3 > > One of the reasons herds were introduced was to explicitly see what
4 > > packages lack maintenance. It is possible for the ebuild to be in the
5 > > herd, but be supported by the developer not on the herd. See the <role>
6 > > tag. Also, there can be one-dev herds.
7 >
8 > I have a number of specialized packages that I maintain, such as
9 > sys-block/qla-fc-firmware, that cannot be classified as any existing
10 > herd, and are specialized enough inventing a new herd for them would not
11 > really help.
12
13 declaring no herd for maintainership here makes sense ... requiring a <herd>
14 tag and forcing it to "no-herd" keeps things explicit ...
15
16 on the topic of finding unmaintained packages:
17 if there is no herd and no maintainer, should we just cut metadata.xml ? or
18 do we recommend people to stick in <herd>no-herd</herd> ? the former would
19 help with people sticking in bogus things like a maintainer of bug-wranglers
20 (really maintainer-needed would make more sense) ...
21 -mike