From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:27:30
1 Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > Luca Barbato wrote:
3 >
4 >> Tiziano Müller wrote:
5 >>> @lu_zero: I don't think we can get away without having the pm know what a
6 >>> live-ebuild exactly is and when to re-install it.
7 >> a live ebuild is a template, every time it has to be evaluated it acts
8 >> as a normal ebuild with the version mentioned and _preN+1 postponed,
9 >> preN is the highest preN present, if present.
10 > Sorry, but I don't want to re-install a snapshot every time I do a world
11 > update. And I also don't want to manually mask/unmask the live ebuilds.
12
13 This part of the behavior, when the update is triggered, isn't specified
14 quite well, I'd trigger it when the cache gets invalidated, but I'm open
15 to alternatives.
16
17 > I either want to be able to specify a time interval after which live ebuilds
18 > should be refetched or being able to manually re-install them (second use
19 > case is trivial).
20
21 Right.
22
23 > Ok, a solution to the problem for above (automatically re-install a live
24 > ebuild after a given time) would probably be to let the pm write a
25 > package.mask file which masks foo-1.2_pre${NUMBER+1} until the given time
26 > is elapsed and then change to mask to match foo-1.2_pre${NUMBER+2} to
27 > trigger re-installation (therefore "auto-masking/unmasking").
28
29 I see, that's ugly indeed.
30
31 lu