From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we want optimal performance?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:54:57
1 On Wednesday 08 September 2004 16:21, Klavs Klavsen wrote:
2 >
3 > I do realise there wouldn't be much point in doing this
4 > flag-optimization for every package - but I'm sure everybody could
5 > benefit greatly from this for servers, with MySQL, PostgreSQL, apache
6 > etc. etc. Would be nice with if this resulted in a set of optimal
7 > CFLAGS (as fast as possible, without stability problems) and perhaps
8 > some performance CFLAGS (with perhaps some stability problems) for
9 > these packages (for each CPU-type) - so people know what they are
10 > doing.
11
12 Well, find out what is the way to get them as fast as possible, submit
13 that to the upstream developers so they can overlay that upon the default
14 cflags. Then everybody is happy, including gentoo as it does not cause us
15 extra support or testing headaches.
16
17 > It would in esssense be a record of "automated performance testing
18 > numbers" with "unstable CFLAGS added, if not detected with automated
19 > performance testing, then added via bugzilla.
20
21 Read a bit up on complexity theory, will you.
22
23 > IMHO a very good start would be with tests for the major serverpackages
24 > (as they are the easiest to do test-suites fore - and most likely we
25 > can already find test-suites for these) and then go from there.
26 > To most, they won't care if bzip2 is a little slower - but they would
27 > care, if their LAMP setup was quicker for the same buck :)
28
29 Providing this will add major complexity to the packages and portage. The
30 only thing that might help is the arc profiling stuff. The rest is at
31 your own leisure. profiling and improving code in any case is more likely
32 to lead to significant speed increases.
33
34 Paul
37 Paul de Vrieze
38 Gentoo Developer