From: Klavs Klavsen <kl@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we want optimal performance?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:21:22
1 Marcus D. Hanwell said:
2 > Alin Nastac wrote:
3 [SNIP]
4 > People could still have the choice to set whatever blanket optimisations
5 > they want, or even override the default C_FLAGS and CXXFLAGS as in
6 > package.use etc. Wouldn't this allow us to find optimal CFLAGS etc for a
7 > subset of the packages in Gentoo, and set default CFLAGS which could
8 > then be overridden?
9 >
10 exactly.
11
12 > I for one would be in favour of this. It could be a gradual process, may
13 > be added to profiles for different archs. With cascading profiles you
14 > could choose the profile with package specific optimisation, or a more
15 > generic profile with no package specific optimisations.
16 >
17 > Not a Gentoo dev, but I for one think this is a great idea. I have seen
18 > this mentioned before, and I do believe that for certain packages this
19 > would be most beneficial. For other packages there may never be much
20 > point.
21 >
22 Glad I'm not the only one then :)
23
24 I do realise there wouldn't be much point in doing this flag-optimization
25 for every package - but I'm sure everybody could benefit greatly from this
26 for servers, with MySQL, PostgreSQL, apache etc. etc. Would be nice with
27 if this resulted in a set of optimal CFLAGS (as fast as possible, without
28 stability problems) and perhaps some performance CFLAGS (with perhaps some
29 stability problems) for these packages (for each CPU-type) - so people
30 know what they are doing.
31
32 It would in esssense be a record of "automated performance testing
33 numbers" with "unstable CFLAGS added, if not detected with automated
34 performance testing, then added via bugzilla.
35
36 IMHO a very good start would be with tests for the major serverpackages
37 (as they are the easiest to do test-suites fore - and most likely we can
38 already find test-suites for these) and then go from there.
39 To most, they won't care if bzip2 is a little slower - but they would
40 care, if their LAMP setup was quicker for the same buck :)
43 Regards,
44 Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - kl@××××.dk - http://www.vsen.dk
45 PGP: 7E063C62/2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8 B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62
46
47 "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
48 --Henry Spencer
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list