From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] sed vs gsed
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:18:53
1 I think the time is mature to ask for another step of Gentoo/ALT
2 improvement ;)
3 Currently ebuilds uses a sed syntax that's mostly GNU sed 4 compatible, but
4 incompatible with BSD sed for instance. This is usually fine as we aliases
5 sed to gsed in our bashrc so that the problem in sed calls is removed.
6 The main problem happen with sed when called by xargs or by find, as that
7 ignores the aliases set in bashrc.
8 What I'd like to ask is, if possible, to start using gsed instead, that's
9 present on both GNU and other userlands with current stable version of sed
10 (4.1.4; ppc-macos has no problem as the 4.0.9 version uses gsed anyway).
11
12 It might require to change the dependency over >=sys-apps/sed-4.1.4, but that
13 would help making portage a bit cleaner IMHO (instead of relying on sed being
14 the executable you need, it make sure you're using a GNU sed version) and
15 solves quite a few headaches for us.
16
17 Comments about this? (Please don't tell me to do a GLEP about this)
20 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
21 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE