From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:52:44
1 On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 22:56, Aron Griffis wrote:
2
3 > Somebody mentioned that it would be possible to consolidate the comments
4 > to make.globals, and leave make.conf uncommented. I think that would be
5 > fine. Alternatively, I'd just leave the situation as-is.
6
7 I'm fairly agnostic on whether or not make.conf should be broken into
8 pieces. Personally, I'm quite happy w/ a single file, but I wouldn't
9 complain about a make.conf.d directory.
10
11 I do want to argue against moving the comments from make.conf to
12 make.globals, however. Given the standard Gentoo policy that users
13 should never make changes to make.globals, I don't think it would make
14 sense for us to tell the same users: "Just look in make.globals to see
15 what you can do w/ make.conf". I think that such a plan would lead to a
16 lot more users editing make.globals directly.
17
18 I also _like_ having the comments in make.conf. As it is the first part
19 of portage that our users encounter, I think it behooves us to document
20 it as well as possible. (That said, I do realize that we do have a very
21 nice make.conf man page, so the comments in /etc/make.conf are not
22 entirely necessary.)
23
24 Well past my bedtime,
25 g2boojum