From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:31:32
1 Hmmm, Pondering this thread leads me to a few opinions of my own. One,
2 I have to sway away from splitting make.conf into multiple files. I
3 kinda like only having to tweak one file to alter the settings of the
4 one system wide feature of Gentoo that makes it Gentoo -- Portage.
5
6 Breaking this up into multiple files I think would anger the user base.
7 Honestly, it's not that complex of a file. And I rather like the
8 large comment blocks that explain various features and settings of
9 portage. More information, the better, I always say.
10
11 Maybe if make.conf was in the format of a sendmail config file,
12 something like this might be more warranted. Users who don't want to
13 have the comment blocks can simply delete them, and etc-update after
14 merging a new portage takes very little time. IMHO, I'd say this is
15 extremely trivial right now.
16
17 On the other hand, perhaps some small changes could be made. I do think
18 the USE variable is just pointless. There are *way* too many use flags,
19 and setting these manually in make.conf is self-defeating. Better to
20 train people to make use of "ufed" to set the USE settings, and keep
21 that file separate from make.conf, say /etc/env.d/useflags.
22
23 Other suggested changes are removing variables that affect tools outside
24 portage, such as distcc and ccache. They have their own userland tools
25 to configure them. At most, a comment block in make.conf, or more
26 preferably, a note in the man page for these might be better.
27
28 Otherwise, I don't see much of a point to change the make.conf file. I
29 think it serves it's purpose well, and centralizes things nicely. I
30 think alot of the tools available for Gentoo outside of 'emerge' and
31 'ebuild' should also be centralized in some form, like ufed,
32 mirrorselect, etc.., either by being merged into a single utility, or
33 individually called from a central utility.
34
35 Just food for thought.
38 --Kumba
41 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
42 small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
43 elsewhere." --Elrond
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list