From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: Eric Noack <eric.noack@×××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] which contribution prefered - to gentoo or to project itself?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:52:22
On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 09:45:21PM +0200, Eric Noack wrote:
> Hmm > > I agree that extra useflags arent such a good idea ;) > > Since the "Configure" of pcmcia-cs is not autogenerated but handmade, and > the kernel configuration is allready read there, the hisax support of the interesting cards should > be easy to check, so the ebuild will only do an extra patch. > So my original question has been answered by the code already :)
good point. We can just add another fun sed line based on the success/failure of the test on the kernel config.
> > > However its the question if it would be better to provide a patch "with" the sources of > these *_cs.c pcmcia client drivers, that could break with the hisax part of the driver, > or copy the kernel _cs.c files of this clients, which could possibly break with the pcmcia part. > > I personally would prefer trying to copy & compile the sources from the kernel dir, to fit against > latest patches to the isdn and HiSax subsystem.
yeah. i agree now that i think more on it.
> I dont think the pcmcia system in the 2.4 kernel would be changed to a level where > a _cs.c file from the kernel wouldnt compile with the pcmcia_cs pcmcia sub-system anymore, > since that would affect the cardmgr and such, which comes always with pcmcia-cs > and would have to comply with kernel-pcmcia in that case, too. > It is theoretically possible, but a change to the isdn system or comunication between the > hisax part and the _cs part of the same card driver is more likely, and would break _cs parts > supplied by a patch to pcmcia_cs directly.
yeah. i thought of that right after i sent the email. Make up a version of the ebuild copying over from /usr/src/linux, and lets see how well that works out.