From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:00:50
1 On 17/05/06, Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:25:08 +0100
4 > "George Prowse" <cokehabit@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Why risk anything by changing the tree to suit the package?
7 >
8 > We're not risking anything, except upsetting a few people. We're not
9 > changing anything either, just adding a few files.
12 Any adding is increasing the risk.
13
14 > It just
15 > > seems like asking for trouble. The overlay ability is there for a
16 > > reason.
17 >
18 > Yes, to work around a lack of multiple repository support. It's not
19 > there to try to mix profiles between repositories.
22 Surely then it would be better to work on a comprimise for the sake of
23 Gentoo rather than paludis. Horse before the cart.
24
25 > Paludis isn't being used and should be kept out of the sphere
26 > > of users use until it is usable, wont break systems and is
27 > > trustworthy enough to be near the tree
28 >
29 > It is, it is, it won't unless the user screws up (as with, say,
30 > Portage), and it is.
33 So good working practice is to introduce a variable where breakages could
34 come from two directions rather than stick with what works? Let the project
35 mature before asking for changes from the Gentoo side.