From: "Piotr Jaroszyński" <peper@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reducing the size of the system package set
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 06:14:39
1 On Tuesday 08 of January 2008 02:02:56 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò kirjoitti:
3 > > Here comes the official proposal, copy and paste from my blog with an
4 > > extra post scriptum at the end.
5 > >
6 > > I already ranted about the fact that the dependency tree of our ebuilds
7 > > is vastly incomplete, as many lack dependency on zlib; trying to get
8 > > this fixed was impossible, as Donnie and other insisted that as zlib was
9 > > in system, we shouldn’t depend on it at all. I disagree, and I would
10 > > like to know why we can’t depend on a system package, but whatever.
11 >
12 > At least one reason is that otherwise lots of ebuild submissions would
13 > have coreutils/gcc/libc/whatever in DEPEND/RDEPEND.
14
15 We could probably introduce some fancy virtuals like c-toolchain to reduce the
16 bloat, but the transition would be somehow tricky... would probably need a
17 list of already converted packages.
20 Best Regards,
21 Piotr Jaroszyński
22 --