From: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:34:29
1 > What on earth is going to be a "major visible improvement" to a command
2 > line based package manager that any average Gentoo user is going to
3 > realise? The average user probably only uses a few commands: emerge
4 > -u/p/a/v/--sync/package/world/system and then use
5 > package.keywords/mask/unmask so there are really no fundamental
6 > differences that the average user will notice
9 How about the speed of search's? the speed of resolving dependancy's? how
10 about the speed that it takes to calculate a dependancy listing after you've
11 already done it once? portage is SLOW. how about getting it to the point
12 where it could be made to incorporate a graphical frontend if wanted. how
13 about providing me a list of packages that are masked instead of making me
14 read and unmask them one at a time.