From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.dev@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revival of Gentoo BugDay: everyone is welcome to come debug
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 15:58:57
1 On 6/12/20 10:54 AM, Jaco Kroon wrote:
2 > Hi Aisha,
3 >
4 > On 2020/06/12 13:44, Aisha Tammy wrote:
5 >> On 6/12/20 6:55 AM, Jaco Kroon wrote:
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> Can we possibly include the concept of "helping to file bug reports" here?
9 >>>
10 >>> For example, I've got an issue (which hasn't annoyed me just quite
11 >>> enough yet to put effort in) where on bootup after xdm init script
12 >>> starts it takes ~2 minutes before slim login is displayed.  But I don't
13 >>> know enough of the workings of that to even understand if this is an
14 >>> Xorg or slim (or dbus) bug ...
15 >>>
16 >> BugDay is not for creating bugs, its for squashing them.
17 >>
18 >> You can create the bugs today and then if it is in one of the top voted
19 >> categories (old bugs, in this case) you might be able to convince interested
20 >> devs to target your specific ones.
21 >
22 > Fair enough.
23 >
24 > In this case I've no idea where to start with filing a sensible bug
25 > though :).  So what it really boils down to is that I think we need to
26 > provide a way to help users help us by providing the ability to interact
27 > with people (Yea, #gentoo works up to a point) that can assist with
28 > basic trouble-shooting to point people towards that which could be the
29 > problem to help with filing better bug reports.
30 >
31 > I've been hunting a graphics terminal corruption issue with urxvt now,
32 > and in the man page you get this:
33 >
34 >            [Please note that many X servers (and libXft) are buggy with
35 > respect to "-depth 32"
36 >            and/or alpha channels, and will cause all sorts of graphical
37 > corruption. This is
38 >            harmless, but we can't do anything about this, so watch out]
39 >
40 > So where to from here?  Researching that it seems most other similar
41 > reports relate to 4th-gen intel graphics ... heck, this was even
42 > attributed to pango at some point, and some other dock launcher which
43 > name I can't remember now.  I've now explicitly set depth to 24 so I'll
44 > know soon enough if this is the issue.  To confuse the matter even more,
45 > I've had the same corruption using aterm, and in xterm as well.  But it
46 > *only* seems to happen with terminal emulators.
47 >
48 > Then there is the issue I described above.
49 >
50 > Currently I have another two or three *desktop* related issues that
51 > plague me, none of which are easy to point where the bug may actually
52 > be, so to file a bug given this is hard.
53 >
54 > Anyway, count me in on bugday if I can be there at all.  This should be
55 > interesting.
56 Without knowing any specifics this looks like it might be either related to
57 font aliasing/ encoding. If there are open bugs for all of them, they would
58 be a good candidate for investigating the X font rendering library (libXft).
59
60 For people who don't know how to file bugs:
61 You can go on bugs.gentoo.org and look around if these are already filed
62 else open new bugs.
63 >
64 > Looking at the previous bug day there is one thing I don't see:
65 >
66 > How does this approach work?  In oher words, the lead-up and
67 > organization seems to be fairly well spelt out - but how does it work on
68 > the day?  When does it actually start? Or is this a world-wide rolling
69 > time GMT+12 starts waking up until GMT-12 starts heading to bed?  This
70 > is the opportunity to market the event.
71 >
72 Good point!
73 Information dump time -
74 The next bugday is on 4th July (and every first saturday of the month, from then on)
75 It is a world wide event, with a lot of flexibility on timing.
76 Its not constrained to just GMT or a particular time zone.
77 The event will mostly be dependent on when devs and other people start rolling
78 in and ramping up. We will continue going until people get tired and/or
79 a sensible amount of time to be called a "day" has passed,
80
81 Most of the interaction will be happening on #gentoo-bugday, with devs talking about
82 bugs that they are working on. Users are welcome to come and interact but don't
83 expect us to be trouble shooting for you. Any specific interesting bugs that
84 you can report, the more wide ranging effects of that bug, the more likely it is
85 that somebody will pick it up.
86
87 How you can help: there are a lot of open bugs on bugzilla but it is hard to
88 pinpoint what the exact reasons for every bug are. It is possible that some
89 bugs get ignore for a long time and become legacy.
90 You can help is find a lot of related bugs that you think can be solved at the same
91 time, because they seem to be sharing the same problem.
92 These kinds of bugs will be very useful to know.
93
94 Or you can just show up to motivate us and cheer us on, that helps too :)
95
96 Aisha
99 > Kind Regards,
100 > Jaco
103 >> Aisha
104 >>
105 >>> Guessing #gentoo may also be of help in regards to the above, so this is
106 >>> really just a suggestion.  Yes, it will generate more bugs, but
107 >>> hopefully the concept will allow for creating targeted bugs rather than
108 >>> overly generic difficult to trouble-shoot bugs.
109 >>>
110 >>> Kind Regards,
111 >>> Jaco
112 >>>