From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] prepalldocs is now banned
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:36:22
1 On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:28:46 +0100
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > If you don't explicitly need compression, don't do anything.
4 >
5 > ... and mark relevant stuff as "ok to be compressed with whatever
6 > suits you best"... sounds familiar? :)
7
8 No. That's entirely the wrong approach, because it relies upon every
9 ebuild having support for it, and most don't. The right approach, if
10 you can demonstrate that there's a genuine benefit to compressing
11 documentation, is to make a proposal for a future EAPI for compression
12 by default for certain directories, with an override available for
13 ebuilds that need specific behaviour.
14
15 > > And if you're trying to make a space-critical distribution, start
16 > > looking at the big things, not the 4% things.
17 >
18 > When I do something space critical I exclude /usr/share/doc and a
19 > couple of others... that doesn't mean I do like wasting space on
20 > something not space critical when compression algorithms exist.
21
22 If you care about space, focus on something relevant. You are wondering
23 whether turning the radio off will make your car more fuel efficient
24 whilst driving with flat tyres, the windows open and in the wrong gear.
27 Ciaran McCreesh