From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] prepalldocs is now banned
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:20:04
1 On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:36:11 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:28:46 +0100
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > If you don't explicitly need compression, don't do anything.
7 > >
8 > > ... and mark relevant stuff as "ok to be compressed with whatever
9 > > suits you best"... sounds familiar? :)
10 >
11 > No. That's entirely the wrong approach,
12
13 I would call it an "unperfect yet useful approach" that unfortunately
14 we've been using for eapi 0-2.
15
16 > because it relies upon every
17 > ebuild having support for it, and most don't.
18
19 That's why it needs to be improved.
20
21 > The right approach, if
22 > you can demonstrate that there's a genuine benefit to compressing
23 > documentation, is to make a proposal for a future EAPI for compression
24 > by default for certain directories, with an override available for
25 > ebuilds that need specific behaviour.
26
27 And I agree this is the right solution but yet unimplemented...
28
29 > > > And if you're trying to make a space-critical distribution, start
30 > > > looking at the big things, not the 4% things.
31 > >
32 > > When I do something space critical I exclude /usr/share/doc and a
33 > > couple of others... that doesn't mean I do like wasting space on
34 > > something not space critical when compression algorithms exist.
35 >
36 > If you care about space, focus on something relevant.
37 [...]
38
39 You got me wrong there it seems: I do not care about space, however I
40 do care about useless waste of space.
41
42 Alexis.