From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: calchan@g.o
Subject: [OT] Rock stars' inter-hindrance time after time, 'cause love is blind (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] The request to abolish games team policy)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:16:02
1 On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 16:26:10 -0600
2 Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Please do not take this personally.
5
6 OK, let us try that; interesting to note though, is that this has also
7 been stated in the OP of this thread. People seem to do care personally
8 about this; repeatedly telling them not do, what effect does that have?
9
10 > I honestly wonder what all the fuss is about.
11
12 Honest questions help.
13
14 > There are a few games I've helped with over the years and I've never
15 > had any trouble at all having my stuff reviewed and accepted. And I'm
16 > a lousy ebuild writer. Every time I'd suggest a fix, bump, or new
17 > package, and I came with an ebuild, I would get constructive
18 > criticism and I could then commit it myself. Not one single time did
19 > I get a "no". Not once.
20
21 We've been there; however, that's not the issue at hand, it takes a
22 non-lousy ebuild writer to see that monopoly surrounds the core of it.
23
24 Why is that? Because it only starts to matter when it starts to matter.
25
26 > You had a fix and it was refused? Have you ever considered you may
27 > have been doing it wrong? I understand having to have your code
28 > reviewed and accepted sounds like an insult to a rock star like you,
29 > but that's the way it is in the real world. It is still beyond my
30 > understanding that code reviews are not mandatory for anything that is
31 > committed in Gentoo.
32
33 We all are rock stars, right?
34
35 > Rich, if I may have a suggestion, it would be that instead of meddling
36 > with projects that have been doing their best with what they have for
37 > years, and which need praise rather than hindrance, you instead start
38 > a project to get people to think positively and accept criticism. The
39 > amount of energy that was spent in this thread and many others in pure
40 > loss could have gone a long way.
41
42 Hmm, we're not sure whether we're all Rich though; if I were, I would
43 wonder if you have considered that hindrance works in both directions?
44 We are rock stars; if rock star X hinders rock star Y, Y can hinder X.
45
46 The effect of telling them to not take it personally, is that they will.
47
48 This thread is pure win, it just takes some time to see good results...
51 With kind regards,
52
53 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
54 Gentoo Developer
55
56 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
57 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
58 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D