From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliant KDE install and multi-version support
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 14:34:28
1 On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 17:24:55 +0400
2 Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> wrote:
3 > В Вск, 07/09/2008 в 02:05 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto пишет:
4 > > Our first attempt was to use a multislot use flag[1]. According to
5 > > that flag, we would set the SLOT and the PREFIX for the install.
6 > > That has the a very important problem - it breaks the invariancy of
7 > > the SLOT and as thus been put aside.
8 >
9 > Could you explain in a little bit more details why it's bad? How
10 > portage workarounds this now for binutils?
11
12 Portage uses the metadata cached slot when doing dep resolution, so it
13 goes spectacularly wrong.
14
15 > In any case as FHS and /usr/kde/<version> installations should set
16 > differently SLOT seems that new portage feature is required... May be
17 > portage should allow setting SLOT in dependence on USE flag?
18
19 So what's the slot when SLOT="foo? ( 1 ) bar? ( 2 )"? And should you be
20 able to have the same KDE version with both USE=multislot and
21 USE=-multislot installed at the same time?
22
23 Unfortunately, the issue's not as simple as allowing conditionals in
24 SLOT in a future EAPI.
25
26 > Or new property for PROPERTIES called multislot which will workaround
27 > the problem with "invariancy of the SLOT"?
28
29 Uh, how would that work?
32 Ciaran McCreesh