From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default useflag cleanups: -apm -foomaticdb -fortran -imlib -motif -oss -xmms
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 04:07:41
1 On Monday 05 June 2006 21:23, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 18:03 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
3 > > -oss - oss is a legacy audio interface that has been superseeded by alsa
4 > > in most current installs, a default use flag is no longer needed
5 >
6 > There are *many* applications in the tree that do not use ALSA, but work
7 > only via the OSS emulation. Removing this is a bad idea and it would
8 > definitely be blocked by the games team. Probably half of the packages
9 > that I maintain require OSS capabilities.
10
11 do we really need the USE flag though ? i was under the impression that you
12 need to enable the OSS compat layer in the kernel and that's enough ... and
13 the USE flag doesnt affect kernel build options ...
14
15 > As for the others, they all seem reasonable. I've removed them from the
16 > main "USE" cluster in the x86/dev/2006.1/desktop profile, and into a
17 > separate grouping, so they can be easily removed, if that ends up being
18 > the decision.
19
20 umm, add back in fortran there bub
21
22 > So does anyone have any objections to the others being removed?
23 > (apm imlib mikmod motif xmms)
24
25 mikmod is the only one i'd keep ... people generally want mikmod whether or
26 not they know it ;)
27 -mike