From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default useflag cleanups: -apm -foomaticdb -fortran -imlib -motif -oss -xmms
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:27:05
1 On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 18:03 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > -foomaticdb - foomaticdb is only used for development foomatic xml files.
3 > SInce most of our users do not develop printer drivers I suggest
4 > making "ppds" a default use flag instead.
5
6 Should we have ppds in the 2006.1 profile, or 2006.1/desktop?
7
8 > -oss - oss is a legacy audio interface that has been superseeded by alsa in
9 > most current installs, a default use flag is no longer needed
10
11 There are *many* applications in the tree that do not use ALSA, but work
12 only via the OSS emulation. Removing this is a bad idea and it would
13 definitely be blocked by the games team. Probably half of the packages
14 that I maintain require OSS capabilities.
15
16 As for the others, they all seem reasonable. I've removed them from the
17 main "USE" cluster in the x86/dev/2006.1/desktop profile, and into a
18 separate grouping, so they can be easily removed, if that ends up being
19 the decision.
20
21 So does anyone have any objections to the others being removed?
22 (apm imlib mikmod motif xmms)
23
24 I won't, of course, do this retroactively, just for the 2006.1 and
25 higher profiles.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 x86 Architecture Team