From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Default useflag cleanups: -apm -foomaticdb -fortran -imlib -motif -oss -xmms
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 16:08:52
1 Hi,
2
3 today I would like to propose a few default keywords for removal. They are
4 outdated and no longer needed on current systems:
5
6 -apm - only very old notebooks use apm
7 -foomaticdb - foomaticdb is only used for development foomatic xml files.
8 SInce most of our users do not develop printer drivers I suggest
9 making "ppds" a default use flag instead.
10
11 -fortran - Do we really need this outdated language as a default in gcc?
12 -imlib - imlib depends on gtk-1, which imo should not be installed in a
13 default gentoo installation - there should be no legacy depends for a plain
14 emerge kde.
15
16 -motif - is unmaintained in portage and rather outdated, does not look good.
17 Should not be default for optional interfaces
18 -oss - oss is a legacy audio interface that has been superseeded by alsa in
19 most current installs, a default use flag is no longer needed
20 -xmms - xmms depends on gtk-1 and has been superseeded by audacious/bmpx
23 I would like to make the changes in a new 2006.1 profile, how do I go about
24 that? I think the current profiles should not be touched, since some users
25 may still be using the flags.
26
27 Any comments/objections - any outdated useflags I forgot?
28 Have a look at /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.0/make.defaults
29 for the list of current default use flags.
30
31 Regards,
32 Stefan
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list