From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default useflag cleanups: -apm -foomaticdb -fortran -imlib -motif -oss -xmms
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 02:16:03
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 18:03 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
3 >> -foomaticdb - foomaticdb is only used for development foomatic xml files.
4 >> SInce most of our users do not develop printer drivers I suggest
5 >> making "ppds" a default use flag instead.
6 >
7 > Should we have ppds in the 2006.1 profile, or 2006.1/desktop?
8
9 printers are not only used on desktops, add it in "profile" please.
10 >
11 >> -oss - oss is a legacy audio interface that has been superseeded by alsa
12 >> in most current installs, a default use flag is no longer needed
13 >
14 > There are *many* applications in the tree that do not use ALSA, but work
15 > only via the OSS emulation. Removing this is a bad idea and it would
16 > definitely be blocked by the games team. Probably half of the packages
17 > that I maintain require OSS capabilities.
18
19 but they do not require an oss use flag. The point of removing this flag is
20 to remove "optional" oss support.
21 Have a look at http://gentoo-portage.com/Search?search=&use=oss for the
22 useage of this flag.
23 And for your games argument. The games ebuilds from the above list I have
24 looked at, provide both the "alsa" and the "oss" use flag, as do most
25 really.
26
27 It is not about removing OSS emulation, it is about removing duplicated
28 backends.
32 > So does anyone have any objections to the others being removed?
33 > (apm imlib mikmod motif xmms)
34
35 foomaticdb is missing here, I hope you will not forget it
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list