From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] verifying profiles/package.mask comment format
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 04:41:22
1 > On 21 Feb 2021, at 04:30, Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > Is there interest in enforcing some basic QA for the semi-formatted
6 > comments in profiles/package.mask (and possibly other profiles file
7 > types)? I have code implementing the basic functionality done for
8 > pkgcheck, but wondered if the format should be standardized and
9 > documented more than it may be already before support is merged.
12 I definitely have interest in this. Every so often, I find a class of mistakes
13 like incorrectly-ordered masks, wrong email format, and so on, and fix
14 them in the area I’m touching as it’s cheap to fix whatever file I’m on -
15 not necessarily so to fix every single one in profiles/.
16
17 This also gives us scope to make requirements like e.g. a bug reference,
18 clear date for removal if last-rites, and generally be a bit more verbose
19 by making clear what the expectations are for message content.
20
21 (There is a clear benefit for last-rites having at least one bug — it gives
22 users a chance to object or mention alternatives.)
23
24 Anyway, not trying to bikeshed re last-rites process, I just mean there’s
25 definitely a collection of uses here. Thanks for working on it.
26
27 Note that this was brought up last month too by jstein, so there is definitely other
28 interest: https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/0600146362529770aa88225b29de46ae.
29
30 > Also, I'm unsure it's been noticed but `pkgcheck scan --commits` now
31 > verifies any profile changes done in git commits so this support would
32 > automatically get run for package.mask changes (and other enabled files)
33 > when using pkgcheck locally in that fashion.
34 >
35 > Thanks,
36 > Tim