From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: metadata/md5-cache
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 08:33:07
1 Michał Górny posted on Sun, 03 Jun 2012 09:22:04 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 >> Even if only the files metatdata changes, that still adds a significant
4 >> cost to an rsync.
5 >
6 > I wonder when it will come to the point where git will be more efficient
7 > than rsync. Or maybe it would be already?
8
9 Handwavey guess, but I've figured git to be more efficient client-side
10 for some time. Server-side I don't know about, but I've presumed that's
11 the reason the switch-to-git plans haven't included switching the default
12 for user-syncs to git. I expect user/client side, git would be more
13 efficient already, but as I said, that's handwavey guesses.
18 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman