From: Daniel Lyons <fusion@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] "bug fixes" for AFS documentation
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:11:12
1 Hi,
2
3 I just installed AFS with the help of Holger Brueckner's very nice AFS guide.
4 But there were a few stumbling blocks which I pointed out to Holger, but he
5 said he left gentoo development some months ago. He said I should try and
6 point them out on this forum, so here they are:
7
8 1. Before you have started the volume server, you need to have a formatted
9 partition mounted at /vicepX (probably /vicepa or /vicepb), and this must have
10 a corresponding /etc/fdisk entry. Otherwise, vos won't know what you're
11 talking about when you try to add new volumes.
12
13 2. If you're installing the server for the first time, you must run afsd after
14 you run the four database server processes and before you try and use fs to
15 modify the access control lists. But afsd will hang if they aren't running,
16 and fs will report rather unhelpful errors about /afs not being in AFS until
17 you do. So basically you need to run "afsd" before you do the last group of
18 commands (fs setacl ...)
19
20 Thanks for your time and the excellent documentation! :)
23 Daniel
24
25 (* Obscenity is a crutch for inarticulate motherfuckers. *)