From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:41:42
1 Jakub Moc wrote: [Fri Nov 18 2005, 06:07:48PM CST]
2 >
3 > 19.11.2005, 0:58:29, Grant Goodyear wrote:
4 >
5 > > My preference is that the subdomain chosen should succinctly reflect
6 > > the role that arch testers serve. My personal preference would be
7 > > to choose something like "aide", "helper", "assistant", or something
8 > > similar. (Indeed, I'd have preferred "volunteer" if it weren't for
9 > > the niggling fact that we're all volunteers.)
10
11 > Once again - I don't know if it's not been clear enough so far, from
12 > the replies on this topic: I don't have time nor desire to dig out
13 > somewhere on the web what's the correct email I should use to contact
14 > someone... there are about 200 more or less active Gentoo devs around
15 > and the last thing I need is to ponder upon what project/role that
16 > particular person is on. What's the benefit?
17
18 Perhaps you should re-read the GLEP? Or the log from the last two
19 Council meetings? Nobody is suggesting that devs should have their
20 e-mail addresses changed to foo@××××××××××××××××.org. The issue is what
21 e-mail address to give people who are helping out Gentoo but not
22 actually devs. Since these people are not going to be maintaining
23 packages, it seems unlikely that you're going to have to spend all that
24 much time trying to figure out how to contact them; just hit "r" like
25 you would with any other user.
26
27 Incidentally, the benefit is to make users who are actively helping
28 Gentoo feel like they're part of the family. It was decided that a
29 straight @gentoo.org address would be confusing, though, since most
30 people associate those addresses with developers. I'm fairly agnostic
31 on the whole thing, myself, but since the Council voted to approve the
32 GLEP, I was simply trying to do my best to put forth a proposal that fit
33 within that framework.
34
35 -g2boojum-
36 --
37 Grant Goodyear
38 Gentoo Developer
39 g2boojum@g.o
40 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
41 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76