From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:30:00
1 On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:27:27AM -0400 or thereabouts, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > This is why I think separate trees is the way to go. If you're already
3 > having to test for *every* ebuild, why make it more complex by having
4 > TONS of "stable" ebuilds in the same tree. With a separate tree, one
5 > can simply test against the packages IN THAT TREE AND NO OTHER and get
6 > an accurate test of what the user would see.
7
8 With a separate profile, one can simply test against the packages IN THAT
9 PROFILE AND NO OTHER and get an accurate test of what the user would see.
10
11 > arch is base... ~arch is updates... This is simple. For people that
12 > want all the updates, they set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to ~arch. For people
13 > that want to verify updates, they simply re-KEYWORD the package once
14 > they've approved it.
15
16 This would require us to dramatically revamp the process used to issue
17 GLSAs. For "mainstream" users, we'd have to tell them to look for arch
18 ebuilds. For "stable" users, we'd have to tell them to look for ~arch
19 ebuilds. Mass confusion ensues.
20
21 --kurt