From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:20:41
1 On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 21:04, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > Having a stable system double or tripes the amount of work every time
3 > anyways because we need to test on each "stable tree".. Newer versions
4 > might not work anyways.. CVS work is very little compared to testing
5 > work.
6
7 Exactly.
8
9 This is why I think separate trees is the way to go. If you're already
10 having to test for *every* ebuild, why make it more complex by having
11 TONS of "stable" ebuilds in the same tree. With a separate tree, one
12 can simply test against the packages IN THAT TREE AND NO OTHER and get
13 an accurate test of what the user would see.
14
15 > > One quick hack is to just sync the full tree to the stable tree without the
16 > > --delete option, so that everything old stays and we get all of the new
17 > > programs. Any updates we want to activate would need to be modified in the
18 > > profiled mask files. No CVS work for the tree involved here.
19 >
20 > The problem with that is that the tree for stable users will start
21 > growing and they will start getting lots of old crap... And it doesnt
22 > give us separation of "base" and "updates" that I think many "corporate"
23 > types want..
24
25 arch is base... ~arch is updates... This is simple. For people that
26 want all the updates, they set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to ~arch. For people
27 that want to verify updates, they simply re-KEYWORD the package once
28 they've approved it.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
33 Gentoo Linux
34
35 Is your power animal a penguin?