From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:04:55
1 On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 19:13 -0500, Corey Shields wrote:
2 > On Monday 09 August 2004 19:01, Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 > > One think that I think *everyone* agrees on is that any stable tree needs
4 > > to be regularly updated with security fixes. With this in mind, I'm
5 > > concerned with trying to maintain multiple separate SYNC modules. We'd
6 > > have to upgrade each one with every GLSA, thus doubling or tripling the
7 > > amount of CVS work needed each time.
8
9 Having a stable system double or tripes the amount of work every time
10 anyways because we need to test on each "stable tree".. Newer versions
11 might not work anyways.. CVS work is very little compared to testing
12 work.
13
14 > One quick hack is to just sync the full tree to the stable tree without the
15 > --delete option, so that everything old stays and we get all of the new
16 > programs. Any updates we want to activate would need to be modified in the
17 > profiled mask files. No CVS work for the tree involved here.
18
19 The problem with that is that the tree for stable users will start
20 growing and they will start getting lots of old crap... And it doesnt
21 give us separation of "base" and "updates" that I think many "corporate"
22 types want..
25 Olivier CrĂȘte
26 tester@g.o
27 Gentoo Developer