From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global useflags zeroconf and avahi
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 03:08:26
1 On 04/01/2013 10:47 PM, Alex Xu wrote:
2 > Kill zeroconf and use "dnssd", "upnp", "ssdp". Problem solved?
3
4 I very much like the approach in principle, though. Digging briefly into
5 Wikipedia[1], UPnP has several components:
6
7 * AutoIP (IPv4LL)
8 * SSDP (So, a separate "ssdp" USE flag may not be necessary)
9 * SOAP (If I read this correctly, this is the encoding of its RPC
10 mechanism)
11 * GENA (A pub/sup architecture)
12
13 (For those that read the link, I'm obviously leaving out the
14 'Description' section...I don't know what that would be called, really.)
15
16 I don't know enough about real-world use of UPnP to say which of these
17 components are most fruitfully separated out of UPnP, USE-wise. If I had
18 to guess, I'd probably suggest:
19
20 * Break out SSDP and AutoIP,
21 * Have UPnP imply SOAP and GENA
22 * Have UPnP depend on the enabling of SSDP and AutoIP.
23
24 Or tie all of it into a single USE flag and be left with 'upnp' and 'ssdp'.
28 [1]
29 https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Universal_Plug_and_Play&oldid=543684744#Protocol