From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC & baselayout-2 meets Gentoo
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:27:59
1 On Monday 24 March 2008, Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Monday 24 March 2008, Doug Goldstein wrote:
4 > >> /etc/modules.autoload.d has always allowed module parameters to appear
5 > >> after the module name.
6 > >>
7 > >> /etc/conf.d/modules has allowed a completely different syntax requiring
8 > >> variables based on the module name to be set with the module parameters.
9 > >>
10 > >> This is where Roy and I have been stuck as far as an automatic
11 > >> conversion process. The stuff you included in the openrc-9999 ebuild was
12 > >> something I had sent to Roy months ago before I realized module
13 > >> parameters would be an issue. Looking at a swath of various
14 > >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/ files, I haven't come up with shell code that
15 > >> does the right thing everytime with all the files, which is why I've
16 > >> left it up to being a manual process for the user and simply documenting
17 > >> it.
18 > >
19 > > expecting users to read and do it themselves is certainly a path to
20 > > destruction for many. while i could have written it in shell, i just did
21 > > it in awk. i hope you're just overstating things when you say months,
22 > > because FIXED:INCVS.
23 > >
24 > > we're going to need to extend the syntax anyways to allow for
25 > > per-version-per-module arguments. unless openrc does that now ... Roy ?
26 >
27 > Currently OpenRC does not support per-version-per-module arguments. What
28 > is your proposed syntax?
29
30 i'd assume logically extended based on existing behavior. Roy's done it now
31 though.
32 -mike