From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 05:50:42
1 On 08/12/2015 05:44 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 08/12/15 22:38, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 >> I always wondered why pkg_pretend never caught on.
5 >
6 > Because, in a way, it triggers at the wrong point of the merge.
7 >
8 > emerge -pv fnurk => dependencies look ok
9 >
10 > emerge fnurk => pkg_pretend bails out ... eh?!
11 >
12 > (This would be a little bit confusing, if not actively hostile, and
13 > useflags + required_use are a lot more 'natural' to the emerge workflow)
14
15 The nice thing about REQUIRED_USE is that it is math expression, and
16 math is a sort of universal language. It leads to uniform error
17 messages. You can imagine that pkg_pretend messages will tend to be much
18 less uniform!
19
20 >> I to can see the advantage of it over REQUIRED_USE; it would allow the
21 >> package maintainer to give specific error messages about why use flag
22 >> combinations are invalid for a package.
23 >
24 > And now someone will say "annotations". Sigh.
25
26 Well, nothing stops people from using pkg_pretend to create fancy error
27 messages now!
31 > have fun,
32 >
33 > Patrick