From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 00:49:01
1 On 08/12/15 22:38, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > I always wondered why pkg_pretend never caught on.
4
5 Because, in a way, it triggers at the wrong point of the merge.
6
7 emerge -pv fnurk => dependencies look ok
8
9 emerge fnurk => pkg_pretend bails out ... eh?!
10
11 (This would be a little bit confusing, if not actively hostile, and
12 useflags + required_use are a lot more 'natural' to the emerge workflow)
13
14 > I to can see the advantage of it over REQUIRED_USE; it would allow the
15 > package maintainer to give specific error messages about why use flag
16 > combinations are invalid for a package.
17
18 And now someone will say "annotations". Sigh.
21 have fun,
22
23 Patrick