From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo peer-to-peer
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:51:01
1 On Wednesday 24 July 2002 04:13 am, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 23 July 2002 23:14, Charles Lacour wrote:
3 > > I'm not sure there's any need for USE flags to identify the binary. If
4 > > two different people compile a package to identical binaries, what USE
5 > > flags they had are completely irrelevant. (Someone might compile a
6 > > package under another flavor of Linux, for example, in which case there
7 > > ARE no USE flags.)
8 >
9 > Well it's pretty obvious that different USE flags should result in
10 > different binaries but you need the USE flags so you know what's in the
11 > package. If I have a -X in my USE flags I surely wouldn't want to install a
12 > vim binary package that has X support in it.
13 >
14 > Should everyone be able to submit binaries ? I surely wouldn't trust them.
15
16 I really think, before we even consider distributing pre-compiled binaries, it
17 makes far more sense to get the existing 'emerge rsync' and source tarballs
18 working with a good P2P system. This would fix the existing bottle necks
19 with emerging packages and improve performance, and would be relatively
20 straightforward. All we need to make it work are GPG-signed ebuilds.
21
22 Binaries open a whole new can of worms, including subtle incompatabilities not
23 just due to differing USE flags, but also do to (slightly) differing
24 libraries, differing CPU and architecture settings in /etc/make.conf, etc.
25 etc.
26
27 Frankly, I have no interest in downloading any binaries whatsoever (and doing
28 so really strikes me as akin to having widespread, repeated sex with no
29 protection in terms of the opportunity for infection by a trojan or Linux
30 specific worm or virus), but P2P as a means to download source tarballs would
31 be a great boon to Gentoo, and a hell of a lot easier to impliment than the
32 distribution of binaries being described here. Being able to emerge sync via
33 P2P would be even cooler (but probably more difficult to impliment).
34
35 My 2 cents, for what it is worth
36
37 Jean.