From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:58:03
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 04:41:37PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Greg KH wrote:
3 >
4 > >> Also, I wouldn't completely exclude that we need to change the
5 > >> wording at some later point. Therefore, we may indeed consider
6 > >> taking the DCO from the Linux source tree which is distributed
7 > >> under the GPL-2, instead of the non-free version ("changing it is
8 > >> not allowed") from developercertificate.org. Their wording is
9 > >> identical except for the preamble.
10 >
11 > > You can't change the text of a license and call it the same thing,
12 > > which is why that wording is there (same wording is in the GPL), so
13 > > don't think that by pointing at the one in the kernel source tree
14 > > that changes anything...
15 >
16 > Sure, the text shouldn't be changed without changing the name. I guess
17 > that's common sense, because otherwise it would be confusing.
18 >
19 > > And I would _strongly_ not recomment changing the wording without
20 > > consulting with a license lawyer, you can mess things up really
21 > > quickly by changing stuff.
22 >
23 > So the DCO was devised by a license lawyer?
24
25 It was created with one, but that was not the only contributor of it.
26
27 > TBH, I find it less than optimal. It is an enumeration with all its
28 > items at equal level, but its meaning is "I certify ((a || b || c) &&
29 > d)". That is, structure doesn't follow contents there, and at first
30 > glance the "or" (or its absence) at the end of each item can be easily
31 > missed.
32
33 See, you have to be careful and read the whole thing, words can be
34 tricky :)
35
36 good luck!
37