From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:42:25
1 >>>>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Greg KH wrote:
2
3 >> Also, I wouldn't completely exclude that we need to change the
4 >> wording at some later point. Therefore, we may indeed consider
5 >> taking the DCO from the Linux source tree which is distributed
6 >> under the GPL-2, instead of the non-free version ("changing it is
7 >> not allowed") from developercertificate.org. Their wording is
8 >> identical except for the preamble.
9
10 > You can't change the text of a license and call it the same thing,
11 > which is why that wording is there (same wording is in the GPL), so
12 > don't think that by pointing at the one in the kernel source tree
13 > that changes anything...
14
15 Sure, the text shouldn't be changed without changing the name. I guess
16 that's common sense, because otherwise it would be confusing.
17
18 > And I would _strongly_ not recomment changing the wording without
19 > consulting with a license lawyer, you can mess things up really
20 > quickly by changing stuff.
21
22 So the DCO was devised by a license lawyer? TBH, I find it less than
23 optimal. It is an enumeration with all its items at equal level, but
24 its meaning is "I certify ((a || b || c) && d)". That is, structure
25 doesn't follow contents there, and at first glance the "or" (or its
26 absence) at the end of each item can be easily missed.
27
28 Ulrich