From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 08:19:08
1 On 07/31/2011 10:20 AM, netfab wrote:
2 > Le 31/07/11 à 04:40, Samuli a tapoté :
3 >>> If there's any option that allows the use of a separate /usr
4 >>> partition without an initramfs, then let's explore it. I don't feel
5 >>> like having to use an initramfs just because I want a small /
6 >>> without /usr on it.
7 >>
8 >> The message is really missing all the context without explanation for
9 >> WHY you want it.
12 > System reactivity. I have an old setup with multiple partitions on
13 > multiple hard-drives mounted on multiple system directories.
14
15 And why is both using an initramfs or migrating /usr to / an problem?
16
17 > When the system is busy, it is responsiveness.
18
19 I can guess. Suboptimal ordering of disks per speed and usage?
20
21 Or what was your point?