From: netfab <netfab@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:16:38
1 Le 31/07/11 à 11:15, Samuli a tapoté :
2 > > System reactivity. I have an old setup with multiple partitions on
3 > > multiple hard-drives mounted on multiple system directories.
4 >
5 > And why is both using an initramfs [...] an problem?
8 No problem for me. If I have to do it, I will. In fact I already use
9 an initramfs for uvesafb and v86d [1]. I was simply answer you on WHY I
10 want a separate /usr partition.
11
12 > And why is both [...] migrating /usr to / an problem?
13
14 This depend on your setup. Mine is basically like this :
15 - /tmp and /var are still on the root partition.
16 - everything else have their own partition, this includes :
17 - official dirs : /usr /portage/trees /portage/distpack /home /opt
18 - custom dirs : /data and raid arrays.
19
20 For example, when running emerge -uDN world, /var is intensively used
21 during compilation. If /usr is on a separate partition on another hard
22 drive, launching multiple applications during the system update will
23 necessarily be faster than if /usr is on /.
26 > > When the system is busy, it is responsiveness.
27 >
28 > I can guess. Suboptimal ordering of disks per speed and usage?
31 Yes.
32
33 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/