From: Paul Varner <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Perl Guru's? Having isssues recompiling perl
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:43:54
1 Are there any perl guru's on this list?
2
3 I having problems recompiling perl on my Gentoo box and I'm trying to
4 determine what the problem is and how to fix it.
5
6 Basically, I decided to recompile the software on my box to use the -O2
7 optimization flag instead of -O3. However, whenever I do an 'emerge
8 =dev-lang/perl-5.8.0-r12', the compiling process ends up crashing my system.
9
10 I have narrowed it down to the 'make test' portion of the process and the
11 test that is crashing the box is lib/Config. When perl runs that test it
12 appears to go into an infinite loop allocating memory, eventually the box
13 runs out of swap space and the kernel starts killing off processes and I end
14 up having to reboot the box. As as test I temporarily created a 2 gig swap
15 file and the test still ran out of memory. I tried changing my cflags back
16 to the original setiing and I still get the same results.
17
18 By running the test manually from the /var/tmp/portage/perl*/work directory,
19 I have determined that the test doesn't like the Config.pm file that was
20 configured. If I copy over my existing Config.pm and run the test manually
21 it works, but if I use the one created during the configure and compile
22 process, I get the problem listed above. A diff of the two Config.pm files
23 doesn't show anything that jumps out at me.
24
25 I have google'd high and low and I can't find anything with somebody having
26 a similar issue
27
28 I'm hesitant to create a bug in bugzilla at this time as I don't have any
29 other information to determine problem. So if there is anyone that has any
30 pointers on where to start debugging further, I would highly appreciate it.
31 I can supply copies of the Config.pm files on request. This one is really
32 bugging me as there should be no reason for perl to compile successfully at
33 install and then fail to compile properly on the same box.
34
35 Regards,
36 Paul
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list