From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:36:17
1 On wto, 2017-07-25 at 22:28 +1000, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > On 07/25/2017 06:05 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi, everyone.
4 > >
5 > > There have been multiple attempts at grasping this but none so far
6 > > resulted in something official and indisputable. At the same time, we
7 > > end having to point our users at semi-official guides which change
8 > > in unpredictable ways.
9 > >
10 > > Here's the current draft:
11 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
12 >
13 > This looks really nice, thanks for working on it.
14 >
15 > > * When doing a minor change to a large number of packages, it is
16 > > reasonable to do so in a single commit. However, when doing a major
17 > > change (e.g. a version bump), it is better to split commits on package
18 > > boundaries.
19 >
20 > In some cases we do prefer to make major changes on a set of related
21 > package all in one commit. For example, we always bump the 240+ KDE
22 > Applications collection together because that's how it's released.
23
24 It's merely a recommendation. I don't want to cover every single use
25 case because that would be insane. I'm already worried I've covered too
26 many cases for people to read it all.
27
28 > > ===Commit messages===
29 > > A standard git commit message consists of three parts, in order: a
30 > > summary line, an optional body and an optional set of tags. The parts
31 > > are separated by a single empty line.
32 > >
33 > > The summary line is included in the short logs (<kbd>git log --
34 > > oneline</kbd>, gitweb, GitHub, mail subject) and therefore should
35 > > provide a short yet accurate description of the change. The summary line
36 > > starts with a logical unit name, followed by a colon, a space and a
37 > > short description of the most important changes. If a bug is associated
38 > > with a change, then it should be included in the summary line as
39 > > <kbd>#nnnnnn</kbd> or likewise. The summary line must not exceed 69
40 > > characters, and must not be wrapped.
41 >
42 > Does a bug # really need to always be in the summary line? It can eat
43 > valuable characters and tags which are pretty popular are equally valid IMO.
44
45 Tags don't appear on 'git log --oneline' or cgit/gitweb shortlog. If you
46 are groking through multiple bugs, it is more convenient if you can find
47 the bug no straight away.
48
50 > > reference a bug,
51 > > ** <kbd>Closes: <nowiki>https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/NNNN</nowi
52 > > ki></kbd>; — to automatically close a GitHub pull request,
54 > > to indicate a fixed bug,
55 >
56 > grepping the git log shows that 'Gentoo-bug' is much more common than
57 > plain 'Bug'. 'Fixes' is hardly used at all, and I think it's a bit
58 > confusing to use this for bugs as well as commits.
59
60 'Fixes' is the original tag used by other projects. 'Bug' is shorter
61 than 'Gentoo-bug' and avoids repeating the obvious. Much like we do not
62 have 'Gentoo-signed-off-by', 'Gentoo-thanks-to' and so on, having
63 'Gentoo-bug' is equally silly.
64
65 Furthermore, full URLs should be used with tags. If you are already
66 using tags (i.e. long form), don't do it half-way and put useless digits
67 there. Put URL that will be interpreted by practically all visual git
68 tools written ever.
69
70 > > a few branches on the repository, and did not maintain them. The Infra
71 > > had to query the developers about the state of the branches and clean
72 > > them up.
73 >
74 > Should 'The Infra' be 'The Infra team' or just 'Infra'?
75
76 Yes, thanks.
79 > > Gentoo developers are still frequently using <kbd>Gentoo-Bug</kbd> tag,
80 > > sometimes followed by <kbd>Gentoo-Bug-URL</kbd>. Using both
81 > > simultaneously is meaningless (they are redundant), and using the former
82 > > has no advantages over using the classic <kbd>#nnnnnn</kbd> form in the
83 > > summary or the body.
84 >
85 > I agree that using both is redundant, but I don't agree with
86 > discouraging or banning the use of 'Gentoo-bug'. If someone prefers to
87 > use it so it sits nicely with the other tags why stop them?
88
89 I'm not stopping anyone. This is merely a suggestion. Encouraging two
90 different tags for the same thing would be confusing to users.
93 Best regards,
94 Michał Górny