From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:28:28
1 On 07/25/2017 06:05 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > There have been multiple attempts at grasping this but none so far
5 > resulted in something official and indisputable. At the same time, we
6 > end having to point our users at semi-official guides which change
7 > in unpredictable ways.
8 >
9 > Here's the current draft:
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
11
12 This looks really nice, thanks for working on it.
13
14 > * When doing a minor change to a large number of packages, it is
15 > reasonable to do so in a single commit. However, when doing a major
16 > change (e.g. a version bump), it is better to split commits on package
17 > boundaries.
18
19 In some cases we do prefer to make major changes on a set of related
20 package all in one commit. For example, we always bump the 240+ KDE
21 Applications collection together because that's how it's released.
22
23 > ===Commit messages===
24 > A standard git commit message consists of three parts, in order: a
25 > summary line, an optional body and an optional set of tags. The parts
26 > are separated by a single empty line.
27 >
28 > The summary line is included in the short logs (<kbd>git log --
29 > oneline</kbd>, gitweb, GitHub, mail subject) and therefore should
30 > provide a short yet accurate description of the change. The summary line
31 > starts with a logical unit name, followed by a colon, a space and a
32 > short description of the most important changes. If a bug is associated
33 > with a change, then it should be included in the summary line as
34 > <kbd>#nnnnnn</kbd> or likewise. The summary line must not exceed 69
35 > characters, and must not be wrapped.
36
37 Does a bug # really need to always be in the summary line? It can eat
38 valuable characters and tags which are pretty popular are equally valid IMO.
39
41 > reference a bug,
42 > ** <kbd>Closes: <nowiki>https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/NNNN</nowi
43 > ki></kbd>; — to automatically close a GitHub pull request,
45 > to indicate a fixed bug,
46
47 grepping the git log shows that 'Gentoo-bug' is much more common than
48 plain 'Bug'. 'Fixes' is hardly used at all, and I think it's a bit
49 confusing to use this for bugs as well as commits.
50
51 > a few branches on the repository, and did not maintain them. The Infra
52 > had to query the developers about the state of the branches and clean
53 > them up.
54
55 Should 'The Infra' be 'The Infra team' or just 'Infra'?
56
57 > Gentoo developers are still frequently using <kbd>Gentoo-Bug</kbd> tag,
58 > sometimes followed by <kbd>Gentoo-Bug-URL</kbd>. Using both
59 > simultaneously is meaningless (they are redundant), and using the former
60 > has no advantages over using the classic <kbd>#nnnnnn</kbd> form in the
61 > summary or the body.
62
63 I agree that using both is redundant, but I don't agree with
64 discouraging or banning the use of 'Gentoo-bug'. If someone prefers to
65 use it so it sits nicely with the other tags why stop them?