From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:21:52
1 Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> posted
2 20090313140558.048bbfa2@×××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Fri, 13
3 Mar 2009 14:05:58 -0700:
4
5 > Example? After months of searching for a reason, after seeing many
6 > apparently random updates to a previously stable tree of perl modules, I
7 > happen to keep an IRC session log which shows with this FSCKING USEFUL
8 > TIDBIT:
9 >
10 > "... no motivated developers. the perl team completely vanished."
11 >
12 > Anyone considering using Gentoo should KNOW that, if they use perl in
13 > any substantive way. Wouldn't you agree?
14
15 Indeed.
16
17 > Anyway, it's just one example. In this case, I'd be glad to see *some*
18 > documentation of the (apparent total) collapse of the 'perl team' and
19 > what is being proposed to fix the problem, *without* having to become
20 > part of the cabal.
21
22 And thanks for providing a bit of that documentation here. That is in
23 fact one of the reasons I follow this list, and it has in fact forewarned
24 me of several issues some time before I had to deal with them. I'm thus
25 very happy to have this list to follow. =:^)
26
27 But I had seen absolutely nothing on the above, the perl team basically
28 disappearing, until your documentation of it in your post. It would have
29 been nice to have seen a bit on the list about it previously, ideally
30 from a dev noting the problem and asking what we can do about it. But
31 given nothing from them (except apparently on IRC), I'll take what I can
32 get, from a user, sometime *after* I should have known about it, as a
33 Gentoo user concerned enough to actually follow the dev list to *get*
34 such information. =:^(
35
36 So thanks. Dev or nodev, I'm glad there are folks like you around! =:^)
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman