From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert@×××.li>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CVS and non-devs (again!)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:23:26
1 On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 08:21, Jan Schubert wrote:
2 > Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 >
4 > >And millions of bug reports from users who don't realize they shouldn't
5 > >report bugs to us on unofficial, unsupported ebuilds, plus users who
6 > >don't realize Gentoo isn't responsible for any breakage, viruses, or
7 > >whatever else propogated by an unofficial tree.
10 > Jon, what John meant is maybe something like to just allow "qualified"
11 > non devs to support work in the unofficial tree. I'm quite sure that
12 > these non devs feel very responsible for their work. There might be some
13 > BugReports in the beginning, but they will be handled by the responsible
14 > non dev. Maybe some of these non devs will become a dev in the future or
15 > where asked to become a dev in the past but just don't have the time for
16 > such a responsible job (personally this is half of the true for me - the
17 > other half is that i'm feeling that i'm still in the progress of learning).
18 >
19 > On the other side i believe, that users accessing this unofficial tree
20 > know what they are doing, so it should'nt reflect the official devs that
21 > much. In my understanding this "feature" is requested by people which
22 > are not that happy with the current situation (some of them are these
23 > non devs we talking about). All of them are aware of the consequences.
24 > This tree would be completely out of scope for "normal" users (they most
25 > likely never get in touch with this unofficial tree).
26
27 You forget about the real problem that we face, which is not the state
28 of the ebuilds that are used which are of an "unofficial" nature, but
29 rather the bugs we receive and requests for help from users whom have
30 used these ebuilds and wish to reverse the problems they have caused.
31 It really boils down to one thing. No matter what, ebuilds which are
32 not in the tree are not verified by the development team and WILL at
33 some point cause the development team some grief in attempting to
34 recover from them. Yes, there are a good many absolutely perfect
35 ebuilds submitted by people every day which never make it into portage.
36 I am still a very strong believer that posting information to the bug
37 which the ebuild has been attached is a much better idea than having any
38 form of "unofficial" tree anywhere.
39
40 Of course, this isn't stopping anyone from having their own tree at
41 all. After all, this is all about choice and freedom. You just can't
42 expect us to give it any form of sanctioning, because it is simply more
43 overhead that we cannot maintain.
44
45 > Maybe all these mails are just a request for an "official" unofficial
46 > tree!? The problem of lots of unsubmitted ebuilds in bugzilla has to be
47 > adressed somehow. You should use the motiviatian and the added value
48 > which these non devs would like to bring in. Don't offend them!
49 >
50 > Thx,
51 > Jan
52 >
53 > PS: If someone of the non devs would ask me, i can say that i've found a
54 > acceptable solution for my occasional activities: Just get a account for
55 > any unofficial gentoo cvs tree and submitt your ebuilds there (and to
56 > bugzilla also, of course). So you are able to maintain your ebuilds, get
57 > familiar with repoman etc. and interessted people can use your ebuilds
58 > by accessing this tree via PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
61 > --
62 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list