From: Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert@×××.li>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CVS and non-devs (again!)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:49:49
1 Jon Portnoy wrote:
2
3 >And millions of bug reports from users who don't realize they shouldn't
4 >report bugs to us on unofficial, unsupported ebuilds, plus users who
5 >don't realize Gentoo isn't responsible for any breakage, viruses, or
6 >whatever else propogated by an unofficial tree.
9 Jon, what John meant is maybe something like to just allow "qualified"
10 non devs to support work in the unofficial tree. I'm quite sure that
11 these non devs feel very responsible for their work. There might be some
12 BugReports in the beginning, but they will be handled by the responsible
13 non dev. Maybe some of these non devs will become a dev in the future or
14 where asked to become a dev in the past but just don't have the time for
15 such a responsible job (personally this is half of the true for me - the
16 other half is that i'm feeling that i'm still in the progress of learning).
17
18 On the other side i believe, that users accessing this unofficial tree
19 know what they are doing, so it should'nt reflect the official devs that
20 much. In my understanding this "feature" is requested by people which
21 are not that happy with the current situation (some of them are these
22 non devs we talking about). All of them are aware of the consequences.
23 This tree would be completely out of scope for "normal" users (they most
24 likely never get in touch with this unofficial tree).
25
26 Maybe all these mails are just a request for an "official" unofficial
27 tree!? The problem of lots of unsubmitted ebuilds in bugzilla has to be
28 adressed somehow. You should use the motiviatian and the added value
29 which these non devs would like to bring in. Don't offend them!
30
31 Thx,
32 Jan
33
34 PS: If someone of the non devs would ask me, i can say that i've found a
35 acceptable solution for my occasional activities: Just get a account for
36 any unofficial gentoo cvs tree and submitt your ebuilds there (and to
37 bugzilla also, of course). So you are able to maintain your ebuilds, get
38 familiar with repoman etc. and interessted people can use your ebuilds
39 by accessing this tree via PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list