From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-scm@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Code Review Systems Was: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: launch plan & schedule
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 05:38:44
1 Robin H. Johnson posted on Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:22:25 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 03:39:31PM +0200, Manuel Rüger wrote:
4 >> Are there still any plans to use a code review system like gerrit [...]
5
6 > [T]he general discussion was that a code review system was not in the
7 > immediate future...
8
9 I believe the general sense of previous discussion was that the git
10 switch has been delayed too long already, and while code review, etc,
11 might be nice, in this case it's the perfect being the enemy of the good,
12 in that it would likely result in another half-decade of gentoo on cvs
13 while these /additional/ things were worked out, and that was simply
14 judged to be an unacceptable tradeoff to make.
15
16 Which I (strongly!) agree with. The switch to git won't be perfect, but
17 we /can/ do it now, and we should. If code review, etc, is to happen,
18 once we're on git it can happen incrementally, but we're not losing
19 anything we have already by not doing it with the switch to git, while
20 just the switch to git alone is already a huge improvement, bringing us
21 into the current era, at least. And there's always going to be one more
22 thing we could change to make things better... at the cost of putting off
23 the big switch yet again... ultimately indefinitely, letting the perfect
24 be the enemy of the good, to the benefit of the otherwise generally
25 agreed to be unacceptable status quo.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman