From: Jano Lukac <jano@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New sys-kernel tree layout
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 11:17:19
1 Silly question: which patches are included in the patch bzball? I quickly
2 skimmed the patch, but it's a big file. The ebuild only writes:
3
4 # INCLUDED:
5 # 2.4.16, plus:
6 # 2.4.17-pre4 (aka "2.4.16-pre4") openmosix
7
8 Which doesn't help me much ;)
9
10 Much obliged,
11 jano
12
13 Daniel Robbins said:
14 > Hi all,
15 >
16 > We now have a new arrangement in Portage's sys-kernel tree.
17 > sys-kernel/linux-sources no longer exists, and has been replaced with
18 > the following consistently-named selection of kernel source packages:
19 >
20 > gentoo-sources:
21 >
22 > The gentoo-sources ebuild is our replacement for our previous
23 > linux-sources ebuild. It contains a "custom" Gentoo Linux kernel
24 > source tree, optimized for server performance and desktop
25 > responsiveness. We try to ensure that this kernel is very fast and
26 > stable and we recommend this kernel for most people. However, XFS
27 > support is no longer included in this kernel. If you use XFS, use
28 > sys-kernel/xfs-sources.
29 >
30 > vanilla-sources:
31 >
32 > The vanilla-sources ebuild installs a "mainline" kernel source tree,
33 > giving you the exact same thing as if you downloaded a stock kernel
34 > from kernel.org. It will be handy for those who use stock kernel
35 > source tree -- now you can merge this kernel, and have a kernel source
36 > tree
37 > installed to /usr/src automatically.
38 >
39 > usermode-sources:
40 >
41 > This usermode-sources ebuild installs mainline sources that have been
42 > patched to support user-mode Linux (a special technology that allows
43 > you to run "Linux inside Linux.")
44 >
45 > xfs-sources:
46 >
47 > The xfs-sources ebuild installs sources that support XFS; specifically,
48 > this ebuild contains a CVS snapshot of SGI's own XFS source tree. In
49 > the future, we may add other minor (and stable) performance-enhancing
50 > patches as well. We've found that using a SGI XFS CVS shapshot is the
51 > best way to go if you're going to use the XFS filesystem. If any of
52 > your Gentoo Linux filesystems are XFS, then, you'll need to use this
53 > kernel.
54 >
55 > openmosix-sources:
56 >
57 > The openmosix-sources ebuild installs a kernel source tree that has
58 > been specially patched with support for the GPL openMosix clustering
59 > and load- balancing technology. For more info, see
60 > http://www.openmosix.com.
61 >
62 > I hope you find the new layout more intuitive. All ebuilds work
63 > similarly and will install a kernel source tree to a directory inside
64 > /usr/src and will set the /usr/src/linux symlink to point to this
65 > directory. We also plan to add a greater selection of kernels in the
66 > future -- even customized kernels from other distributions like
67 > Mandrake and Red Hat.
68 >
69 > Best Regards,
70 >